Court assessor nominations

Nominations and applications for occupational licensing court assessors are now open.

The occupational licensing Acts require the Minister of Consumer and Business Services to establish panels of court assessors to sit with the Magistrates Court or District Court in certain civil and disciplinary proceedings.

Court assessors will be appointed under the following legislative streams:

  • Building Work Contractors Act 1995
  • Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Act 1995
  • Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995
  • Land Agents Act 1994
  • Land Valuers Act 1994
  • Conveyancers Act 1994
  • Security and Investigation Industry Act 1995

There are two types of court assessors:

• Industry court assessors – are qualified and experienced in their nominated occupation and trade. They must be registered as a licence holder under a particular occupation. They provide to the court their expertise, knowledge of industry jargons and best practices.

• Consumer court assessors – represent people who are likely to deal with occupational tradespeople. They provide to the Court a consumer’s point of view about a particular trade.

A court assessor must:

• be ethical
• be able to clearly express themselves
• be able to conduct themselves with decorum in a court environment
• declare if there are any conflicts of interest before assisting a judge in a matter.

The court assessor’s role

Court assessors sit with the Court and provide relevant and impartial evidence about their trade expertise – building, conveyancing, real estate, land valuing, electrical, plumbing, gas fitter and security and investigation.

Assessors can help a judge in court proceedings by providing knowledge and technical evidence about the workings and practices of a particular trade.

Court assessors should never mislead the Court or become an advocate for their particular trade.

Court assessors may disagree with or fail to reach the same conclusion as the judge. The Court will reach its own conclusion, after considering the opinions and evidence of the court assessor.

Nomination and appointment

Nominations and applications are now open and will close Friday 22 September 2017 at 11.59 pm.

Applicants are required to submit the following documents:

  • up-to-date curriculum vitae/resume
  • letter of support from their relevant trade association
  • identity verification documents for police screening clearance.
Start your nomination and application to be a court assessor

Police screening

You will need to provide a national police check or DCSI screening certificate as part of your application. If you have not completed this check in the last 12 months or do not have it available to upload, you must complete a national police check before starting your application.

Nominators and supporters

As Court Assessors seek to represent their various trades, it is crucial that the applicant has the confidence of its representative body. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek support from their occupation or trade representative organisations when applying to be a court assessor. Letters are to be uploaded online with your application. A letter of support from (but not limited to) the following organisations is strongly encouraged:


Occupation/ Trade Organisation Contact number Email
Land agents,

Land valuers

Australian Property Institute (API) (08)
8132 0092


Land valuers Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) (02)
9216 2333


Land agents Real Estate Institute of South Australia (REISA) (08)
8366 4300


Electricians National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) (08)
8272 2966


Plumbers Master Plumbers Association South Australia inc (MPASA) (08)
8292 4000


Electricians, plumbers Communications Electrical and Plumbing Union, SA


8234 2130


Gas fitters Australian Pipeline Gas Group (APA) (08)
8159 1661


Gas fitters Transport Workers Union (TWU) (08)
8340 5900 
Building work contractors Housing Industry Association of SA (HIASA) (08)
8340 5900
Building work contractors Master Builders Association (MBA) )(08)
8346 4177


Second-hand vehicle dealers Motor Trade Association of South Australia (MTA) (08)
8291 2000


Second-hand vehicle dealers Australian Automobile Dealers Association (AADA) (02)
9150 6991


Security staff Australian Security Industry Association (ASIAL) (02)
8425 4300


Security staff National Security Association of Australia (SA) Inc. (NSAASA) (07)
3852 1656


Please kindly attention your letter to the Commissioner for Consumer and Business Services as follows:

Mr Dini Soulio

Commissioner for Consumer and Business Services

c/o Regulatory Services

Consumer and Business Services

GPO Box 1719

Adelaide SA 5001

Further enquiries

Contact Paul Liew of CBS Regulatory Services at or at 08 8226 8593.


Changes to residential tenancies legislation – CBS News

Commencing 3 July 2017

The changes aim to clarify or provide solutions to several administrative issues that have been raised by industry.  It is important that all parties to a residential tenancy understand their rights and obligations.

Right to entry – section 72

In most cases, the landlord must provide a minimum period of notice to the tenant to attend the premises. However, there may be circumstances where the tenant would like the landlord to attend the premises more quickly to deal with certain matters.

The changes now allow the landlord to attend the premises at the tenant’s request to:

  • Carry out non-urgent repairs and maintenance (including garden maintenance) without the landlord needing to give the required notice.
  • Show the property to prospective tenants as soon as possible to minimise break lease fees, if the tenant wants to terminate the lease early (at least 28 days earlier).

Other than these circumstances, the existing notice periods and requirements for showing prospective tenants through the property still apply.

Landlords cannot initiate or entice any request. The request must be the tenant’s own choice.

Termination by tenant if residential premises for salesection 85A

If the landlord enters into a contract for sale of the property within two months after the tenancy commences and the landlord did not inform the tenant (before entering into the tenancy) of their intention to sell then the tenant has the right to terminate the lease.

If the landlord:

  • Gives the tenant written notice of the contract for sale of the property, then the tenant must exercise their right to terminate within two months of receiving this notice.
  • Does not give written notice to the tenant, then the tenant may terminate the lease at any time.

This amendment only applies to new tenancy agreements entered into on or after 3 July 2017.

Abandoned property – other than personal documents  – section 97B

Presently, once a landlord has taken possession of the premises, they must wait two business days before removing, destroying or disposing of abandoned property. The landlord must allow the tenant reasonable access to the property during this time to reclaim abandoned items.

New Form 2

The Form 2 ‘Notice by landlord to remedy breach of agreement – Notice of termination’ has been updated to reflect information about delivery by ordinary post and to clarify existing requirements to complete and serve the notice on the tenant.

The new Form 2 is available from the website.

There will be a transition period for using the new Form 2. Old versions can still be used up until the end of September 2017. However, from 3 July 2017 landlords/agents are encouraged to complete the new Form 2.

For more information

Residential Tenancies (Miscellaneous) Amendment Act 2016