Fire sprinkler ‘test and inspect’ registration

A new registration category has been created for people who ‘test and inspect’ fire sprinklers – or fire suppression systems. This will reduce regulatory requirements for those who only undertake this type of plumbing work.

New requirements to ‘test and inspect’ fire sprinklers

Condition of registration: Restricted plumbing work limited to the 6 monthly or more frequent testing and inspecting of fire suppression systems specified by AS1851.

Scope of work: Inspecting or testing a fire protection service consisting of water pipes and firefighting equipment (such as sprinklers, hoses and hydrants) that are connected to the mains water supply. It does not include annual or greater testing – e.g. 3 yearly.  It does not include installation or repair work.

Required qualification: The following units of competency are to be completed from the CPP20511 Certificate II in Fire Protection Inspection and Testing:

  • CPPCMN2002A   – Participate in workplace safety arrangements
  • CPPFES2006A    – Prepare for installation and servicing operations
  • CPPFES2004A    – Identify types of installed fire safety equipment and systems
  • CPCPFS3020A    – Conduct basic functional testing of water-based fire-suppression systems
  • CPCPFS3021A    – Inspect and test fire pump sets
  • CPPFES2010A    – Inspect and test fire hose reels
  • CPPFES2037A    – Inspect and test fire hydrant systems
  • CPPFES2047A    – Inspect and test control and indicating equipment

Although these are the minimum qualifications required, applicants should consider completing additional units to gain the full Certificate II in order to improve their employment prospects.

Training organisations

The following Registered Training Organisations are those known to CBS to be offering this training in South Australia.  Cost and study requirements may vary between training providers.  Some may only provide training in SA once minimum student numbers are reached.

  • Fire Protection Association Australia, T: 1300 731 922, E:
  • Haz-Ed Services, T: (08) 9248 8099, E:
  • Pacific Institute of Technology, T: (08) 7200 3802, E:

Existing ‘test and inspect’ workers without formal qualifications may be able to obtain Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for all or most of the units.  Those with other formal qualifications are encouraged to contact Consumer and Business Services to check whether these would be acceptable.

Those inspections that are required to be carried out annually or after a longer period of time under AS1851 must be done by a person who holds a plumbing workers registration that authorises this work, such as a registration restricted to fire protection work.

‘Test and inspect’ workers have to the end of January 2018 to ensure that they hold the appropriate registration. After January 2018 compliance checking by CBS will commence.

Simplify Day

Simplify Day is the government’s red tape reduction initiative. Its purpose is to engage the community and the public sector workforce on how we can make government more efficient.

Simplify Day – 10 August 2017

Read the 2017 Simplify Day report

Second hand vehicle dealers

Dealers trading from more than one premises now only need to pay one SHVD compensation fund fee each year. Other changes included a reduction in the prescribed amount dealers must contribute to the fund and a reintroduction of the dealer’s handling fee to assist with the costs associated with the transfer of a vehicle’s registration.

The requirements on some prescribed notices have been changed to increase transparency for consumers and potentially save licensed dealers a combined total of more than $120,000 each year.

The updated Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Regulations 2017 (PDF 260KB) commenced on 1 September 2017.

Land agents licence exemptions

Announced as part of Simplify Day 2016, high-end and related commercial property owners will be exempt from holding a land agent registration, reducing the regulatory burden for the commercial sector and encouraging investment in our state.

The Land Agents (Simplify No 2) Variation Regulations 2017 were made on 8 August 2017 to coincide with Simplify Day 2017 and will commence on 1 November 2017.

Vendor’s statement

Information required for the Form 1 vendors’ statement will be reviewed to ensure the need for disclosed information is relevant while continuing to protect the consumer. The review will investigate other accessible options for providing the information to consumers and involve extensive consultation in 2018 and beyond.


Announced as part of Simplify Day 2016, the review of the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 is now complete. This is another step towards reducing administrative burdens for running an association. The government is currently considering the timeframes for legislative amendments.

Simplify Day – 15 November 2016

Read the 2016 Simplify Day report

Non-active partners – exemption

A non-active partner may apply for an exemption from holding a CBS building, plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (trade) licence. A non-active partner is a registered business partner who does not independently quote, contract, perform or supervise licensed work or actively manage any trade work. Non-active partners are often spouses of licensed contractors undertaking administrative duties only such as book keeping, advertising, purchasing etc.

Non-active partners must not have been previously suspended or disqualified from an occupation or business under any Australian law. They also must not have been deemed insolvent or bankrupt as an individual or director of a company in the past five years.

Licensees that are limited to operating in partnerships are ineligible. This limitation is listed on your card or you can check the public register or call us to verify. The continuing licence holder may need to upgrade their licence.

Applying for an exemption  If you are applying for a new licence a non-active partner will need to apply online for an exemption from holding a licence (use the ‘apply for an exemption’ button below). You will only need to do this once when you are applying for a new licence and there is no cost for this application.

If you are a non-active partner and want to surrender a current licence as part of this process , use the ‘apply to surrender your licence’ button below to apply.

Change in circumstances  You will need to notify CBS if your circumstances change. You may need to hold a contracting licence to quote, contract and perform work and a supervisor or worker registration if you physically perform the work.

False information – Penalties of up to $50,000 and a possible prison term apply if you provide false information or work as an active partner without a licence. CBS encourages you to report anyone working without an appropriate licence at
Apply to surrender your licence (currently LICENSED)

Apply for an exemption (currently UNLICENSED)

Building and other trades

Penalty fees for the late renewal of occupational licences have been removed. Final notices will be sent without additional fees and the licence cancelled if not renewed.


Body corporate conveyancers no longer need to seek the Commissioner’s approval to operate in partnership, removing administrative red tape for both conveyancers and the government.


Bookmakers no longer need to obtain permits to operate at particular race meets, removing administrative red tape for both bookmakers and the government – excluding bets made by phone or electronically – eg over the internet.

Second hand vehicle dealers

With the support of the Motor Trades Association,  dealers no longer need to seek the Commissioner’s approval for business premises. This is replaced by a simpler notification requirement. Dealers will also no longer need approval to trade at temporary premises, such as a trade shows or events provided they are less than seven days.

Penalty fees for late renewal licences will also be removed.

Compensation claims against the Second-hand Vehicles Compensation Fund will now be made to the Commissioner. While claimants no longer need to apply to the Magistrates Court, a right of appeal remains if there is a disagreement to the decision of the Commissioner.

Apply now


Visit Simplify Day on the Department of Treasury and Finance’s website for more information.

Registering a relationship in South Australia

Couples can now register their relationship with Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) if at least one person in the relationship lives in South Australia. Couples may apply irrespective of their sex or gender identity.

People who have been married before, been in a relationship registered in South Australia or in a ‘corresponding law’ registered relationship – a relationship registered under similar laws in another state or county –  will need to show that the previous relationship has ended with evidence such as a divorce certificate, nullity order, death certificate.

Relationship ceremonies

Couples are not required to have a ceremony when they register their relationship. However, relationship ceremonies can be conducted at Chesser House, performed by one of our Registry staff.

Registry office relationship ceremonies

Couples can order a standard certificate or commemorative certificate package.

Evidence of a relationship

Evidence of a relationship is not required to register a relationship but applications must be accompanied by completed statutory declarations witnessed by an authorised person and  evidence of identity and age of both people. Payment of the appropriate fee is also required.

Overseas documents need to be translated into English by an accredited translator.

‘Corresponding law’ relationships

The Relationships Register Regulations 2017 provides detail regarding corresponding law registered relationships. Couples can apply for a certificate for corresponding law relationships. However, if it is recognised by another corresponding jurisdiction, a relationship cannot be re-registered in South Australia. Contact BDM if you would like to apply for a corresponding law relationship certificate –

Ending a relationship

Either person in a registered relationship can apply to have their relationship end by completing a Revoke a registered relationship – application form.

If only one person makes the application, a copy of ‘service of revocation statement’ must be served to the other person. This statement is supplied in Section A of the Revoke a registered relationship – application’ form.   An application to revoke a relationship takes 90 days once the application has been received by BDM.

Contact BDM if you don’t have all the required documents or to find out more about registering your relationship – phone 131 882 .

Apply to register your relationship at

Frequently asked questions – Registering a relationship in South Australia

Court assessor nominations

Nominations and applications for occupational licensing court assessors are now open.

The occupational licensing Acts require the Minister of Consumer and Business Services to establish panels of court assessors to sit with the Magistrates Court or District Court in certain civil and disciplinary proceedings.

Court assessors will be appointed under the following legislative streams:

  • Building Work Contractors Act 1995
  • Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Act 1995
  • Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995
  • Land Agents Act 1994
  • Land Valuers Act 1994
  • Conveyancers Act 1994
  • Security and Investigation Industry Act 1995

There are two types of court assessors:

• Industry court assessors – are qualified and experienced in their nominated occupation and trade. They must be registered as a licence holder under a particular occupation. They provide to the court their expertise, knowledge of industry jargons and best practices.

• Consumer court assessors – represent people who are likely to deal with occupational tradespeople. They provide to the Court a consumer’s point of view about a particular trade.

A court assessor must:

• be ethical
• be able to clearly express themselves
• be able to conduct themselves with decorum in a court environment
• declare if there are any conflicts of interest before assisting a judge in a matter.

The court assessor’s role

Court assessors sit with the Court and provide relevant and impartial evidence about their trade expertise – building, conveyancing, real estate, land valuing, electrical, plumbing, gas fitter and security and investigation.

Assessors can help a judge in court proceedings by providing knowledge and technical evidence about the workings and practices of a particular trade.

Court assessors should never mislead the Court or become an advocate for their particular trade.

Court assessors may disagree with or fail to reach the same conclusion as the judge. The Court will reach its own conclusion, after considering the opinions and evidence of the court assessor.

Nomination and appointment

Nominations and applications are now open and will close Friday 22 September 2017 at 11.59 pm.

Applicants are required to submit the following documents:

  • up-to-date curriculum vitae/resume
  • letter of support from their relevant trade association
  • identity verification documents for police screening clearance.
Start your nomination and application to be a court assessor

Police screening

You will need to provide a national police check or DCSI screening certificate as part of your application. If you have not completed this check in the last 12 months or do not have it available to upload, you must complete a national police check before starting your application.

Nominators and supporters

As Court Assessors seek to represent their various trades, it is crucial that the applicant has the confidence of its representative body. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek support from their occupation or trade representative organisations when applying to be a court assessor. Letters are to be uploaded online with your application. A letter of support from (but not limited to) the following organisations is strongly encouraged:


Occupation/ Trade Organisation Contact number Email
Land agents,

Land valuers

Australian Property Institute (API) (08)
8132 0092


Land valuers Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) (02)
9216 2333


Land agents Real Estate Institute of South Australia (REISA) (08)
8366 4300


Electricians National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) (08)
8272 2966


Plumbers Master Plumbers Association South Australia inc (MPASA) (08)
8292 4000


Electricians, plumbers Communications Electrical and Plumbing Union, SA


8234 2130


Gas fitters Australian Pipeline Gas Group (APA) (08)
8159 1661


Gas fitters Transport Workers Union (TWU) (08)
8340 5900 
Building work contractors Housing Industry Association of SA (HIASA) (08)
8340 5900
Building work contractors Master Builders Association (MBA) )(08)
8346 4177


Second-hand vehicle dealers Motor Trade Association of South Australia (MTA) (08)
8291 2000


Second-hand vehicle dealers Australian Automobile Dealers Association (AADA) (02)
9150 6991


Security staff Australian Security Industry Association (ASIAL) (02)
8425 4300


Security staff National Security Association of Australia (SA) Inc. (NSAASA) (07)
3852 1656


Please kindly attention your letter to the Commissioner for Consumer and Business Services as follows:

Mr Dini Soulio

Commissioner for Consumer and Business Services

c/o Regulatory Services

Consumer and Business Services

GPO Box 1719

Adelaide SA 5001

Further enquiries

Contact Paul Liew of CBS Regulatory Services at or at 08 8226 8593.


Product safety standard on portable ethanol burners – CBS news

In March 2017 Federal Small Business Minister Michael McCormack imposed a national interim ban to prevent the supply of certain types of decorative alcohol-fuelled devices, also known as ethanol burners.

It was implemented after serious injuries were reported, raising concerns about their safety.

The national interim ban comes to an end on 14 July 2017, and will be replaced by a safety standard from 15 July 2017.

The new safety standard:

  • prevents the supply of table top devices (devices which weigh less than 8 kilograms or have a footprint less than 900 square centimetres); and
  • requires freestanding and fixed devices to meet a stability test, come with a fuel container with a flame arrester (or an automatic fuel pump system) and display warnings on the device about refuelling hazards.

Products intended for cooking or heating are exempt from the safety standard.

The safety standard gives device suppliers three months to transition from the national interim ban to the new requirements in the safety standard.

Mr McCormack noted that some suppliers of safe devices are intending to develop a voluntary standard with Standards Australia which will provide additional protections for consumers, a move that is welcomed and strongly supported.

Retailers and suppliers can go to the ACCC’s product safety website to get further information on the new safety standard.

Consumers seeking to purchase decorative alcohol-fuelled devices should check  that the device complies with the safety standard.

Those concerned about products they have previously purchased should visit the Product Safety Australia website for information about the safety standard, consumer rights and how to use burners safely.

Read the national media release – Safety standard for ethanol burners (PDF 113KB)

Changes to residential tenancies legislation – CBS News

Commencing 3 July 2017

The changes aim to clarify or provide solutions to several administrative issues that have been raised by industry.  It is important that all parties to a residential tenancy understand their rights and obligations.

Right to entry – section 72

In most cases, the landlord must provide a minimum period of notice to the tenant to attend the premises. However, there may be circumstances where the tenant would like the landlord to attend the premises more quickly to deal with certain matters.

The changes now allow the landlord to attend the premises at the tenant’s request to:

  • Carry out non-urgent repairs and maintenance (including garden maintenance) without the landlord needing to give the required notice.
  • Show the property to prospective tenants as soon as possible to minimise break lease fees, if the tenant wants to terminate the lease early (at least 28 days earlier).

Other than these circumstances, the existing notice periods and requirements for showing prospective tenants through the property still apply.

Landlords cannot initiate or entice any request. The request must be the tenant’s own choice.

Termination by tenant if residential premises for salesection 85A

If the landlord enters into a contract for sale of the property within two months after the tenancy commences and the landlord did not inform the tenant (before entering into the tenancy) of their intention to sell then the tenant has the right to terminate the lease.

If the landlord:

  • Gives the tenant written notice of the contract for sale of the property, then the tenant must exercise their right to terminate within two months of receiving this notice.
  • Does not give written notice to the tenant, then the tenant may terminate the lease at any time.

This amendment only applies to new tenancy agreements entered into on or after 3 July 2017.

Abandoned property – other than personal documents  – section 97B

Presently, once a landlord has taken possession of the premises, they must wait two business days before removing, destroying or disposing of abandoned property. The landlord must allow the tenant reasonable access to the property during this time to reclaim abandoned items.

New Form 2

The Form 2 ‘Notice by landlord to remedy breach of agreement – Notice of termination’ has been updated to reflect information about delivery by ordinary post and to clarify existing requirements to complete and serve the notice on the tenant.

The new Form 2 is available from the website.

There will be a transition period for using the new Form 2. Old versions can still be used up until the end of September 2017. However, from 3 July 2017 landlords/agents are encouraged to complete the new Form 2.

For more information

Residential Tenancies (Miscellaneous) Amendment Act 2016