The ACL replaced 20 existing State, Territory and Commonwealth laws with one law.
- The ACL makes it easier for consumers to understand and enforce their rights because they will be the same across Australia.
Easy to understand
The ACL provides consumers with a law that is easy to understand.
- The ACL is simpler and clearer than the equivalent provisions of the Trade Practices Act and the State and Territory Fair Trading Acts.
- Complex legal terms have been replaced with terms that consumers can understand.
Consumers can benefit from better enforcement of the ACL.
- A single law is uniformly enforced across Australia. A memorandum of understanding between regulators ensures that this is the case.
- Courts and Tribunals across Australia apply the same law to consumer disputes, allowing for cheaper and clearer avenues of redress.
- Uniform enforcement powers are available to all consumer agencies across Australia.
Consumers benefit from clear rights under the ACL.
- Consumers now have the same rights under the ACL across Australia, no matter where they live, where they buy goods or services or where a supplier is located.
For more information and detailed guidance material, go to www.consumerlaw.gov.au
Free guides to the Australian Consumer Law
- Consumer guarantees: A Guide for consumers (149 KB PDF file)
- Product Safety: A Guide for consumers (162 KB PDF file)
- Sales practices: A Guide for consumers (154 KB PDF file)
- Avoiding unfair business practices: A Guide for consumers (148 KB PDF file)