Solving a problem with a business is often straightforward but it can be hard to know where to start.

Help for consumers

You can find the answers to most questions about your consumer rights and get tips on negotiating with a business by reading ‘Citizens and your rights’ on the website.

The Right Door is an online tool to help you find the right government department to contact about your consumer rights.

Contact Consumer and Business Services (CBS)

You can email, phone or visit CBS for consumer advice – Contact us

If you email – select consumer advice from the subject list and check that you have included:

  • your full name
  • the business’s name and location
  • a description of the problem.

Please contact CBS if you haven’t received a response from us within five working days.

Working with CBS to solve a problem

If you haven’t been able to solve the problem, you can request that CBS gets involved with your negotiations. Before you call, use the consumer complaint checklist on the au website to ensure we are able to help you without delay.

These requests are not accepted via email, please phone 131 882 – ext 5.

Report a business

You can also report a business without asking CBS for assistance.  Phone our reporting line during business hours on 131 882.