Victims of domestic violence who are renting their homes may be able to leave violent relationships without facing financial penalties under their rental agreement.
Victims can apply to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) to:
- stay at the rented home and have the perpetrator leave
- leave the rented home and be removed from the rental agreement.
The domestic violence information sheet provides further information.
– Residential tenancy protection for domestic violence victims
– News Release: More protection for victims of domestic violence as new laws pass (PDF 29KB)
– Domestic Violence Protections for the Tenancy Sector: Information Paper
– Residential Tenancies (Domestic Violence Protections) Amendment Bill 2015