Gift cards and ticket scalping – CBS news

South Australian consumers will be better protected under new fair trading legislation.

The Fair Trading (Gift Cards) Amendment Bill 2018 and the Fair Trading (Ticket Scalping) Amendment Bill 2018 have now passed in parliament and provide greater consumer protections around ticket scalping and give shoppers longer periods in which to use gift cards.

Read more about the legislative changes on the AGD website

Reform to SA liquor laws – CBS news

The Liquor Licensing (Liquor Review) Amendment Act 2017 was passed by the South Australian Parliament on 14 November 2017 to implement reforms to liquor licensing in South Australia.

The reforms were developed in response to the 2016 review conducted by retired Supreme Court Judge Tim Anderson QC, which made 129 recommendations to create a modern and flexible licensing system that supports a vibrant hospitality industry, while maintaining a safe drinking culture.

Delivery of the reforms has been divided into three stages to allow for operational changes and further consultation on different aspects of the reforms.

To stay informed about the reforms, all holders of liquor licenses are encouraged to sign up for e-notifications by visiting

Stage 1 – December 2017

The first stage of reforms commenced in December 2017, focusing on protecting minors and reducing red tape.

Find out more about changes to industry licensing and supply of alcohol to minors

Stage 2 – September 2018

Stage 2 changes create tougher penalties for breaches of the Liquor Licensing Act 1997, expand protections for minors, reduce red tape, and introduce additional changes in the best interest of the community in relation to:

  • direct sales
  • seizure of evidence of age documents
  • dry zones
  • welfare barrings
  • training requirements
  • liquor accords.

Laws have now passed that support the stage 2 reforms, many of which commence 24 September 2018.

Read more about the latest changes.

Stage 3 – 2019/2020

The State Government delivered the 2018-19 State Budget on Tuesday, 4 September 2018, which includes the introduction of revised liquor licensing fees.

The new fee structure is currently being developed. Fees will not exceed those proposed in Mr Anderson’s report (in many cases, fees are expected to be significantly lower than the fees he recommended and are expected to produce savings in some cases for certain classes of licence).

All current licences will transition to new liquor licence categories, commencing mid-2019.

To assist licensees through the transition of their licences, an easy to use web portal will also be developed.

Consumer and Business Services will continue to work with industry and licensees to provide advice about these changes.

Further information

Information on new and existing liquor licences and venues can be found on 

Residential parks reform – CBS news

Legislation has been introduced into Parliament to amend the Residential Parks Act 2007 (the Act). The Act regulates the relationship between residential park owners and people who live in parks as their principal place of residence.

The legislation was originally designed to address issues arising from people living in caravan parks in moveable, inexpensive structures on rented sites. However, over time the types of housing structures have changed. Some residential parks offer purely long term living in constructed or manufactured homes, while others are a mix of tourist accommodation with dedicated areas for residential living.  The types of dwellings range from caravans with annexes to transportable and manufactured homes.

A discussion paper was released in March 2016 to consult on ways to improve the current laws. Feedback received highlighted concerns around the insecurity of tenure, and the absence of any legal requirement for park owners to disclose certain information or to provide compensation for residents.

The Residential Parks (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2018, introduced into Parliament on 5 September 2018, would see a fairer and more transparent system for residential park residents and owners. The Bill aims to strike a balance between protecting the rights of residents and the investment in their homes, and the interests of park owners to support the growth of their parks.

Residential Parks (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2018

Charles Fenton trading as Holtan Building and Maintenance Services – assurance and undertaking

Charles Leonard Fenton trading as Holtan Building and Maintenance Services has acknowledged that he breached sections 28 and 30 of the Building Work Contractors Act 1995 by contracting for domestic building work without a domestic building work contract in place, and requesting excessive payments.

Mr Fenton has entered into an assurance with the Commissioner that states he acknowledges the breaches and will rectify them.

A trader that fails to comply with an assurance may be liable for prosecution.

Signed assurance (PDF 105KB)

The savvy consumer booklet – CBS news

The savvy consumer publication - a guide to your rights when buying goods and servicesWe’re all consumers. Sometimes we make big purchases like a car or caravan, but then there are lots of smaller purchases we make like going to the movies or buying new pillows and towels.

A new edition of The Savvy Consumer booklet has been launched to provide helpful advice to all consumers.

Topics covered in the booklet are:

  • Smart shopping – including purchasing mobile phones, travel, cars
  • Door to door sales and telemarketing
  • Refund rights
  • Home repairs and renovations
  • Avoiding scams
  • Product safety
  • Fixing a problem.

Download the savvy consumer (PDF 1.72MB)

Order a free printed copy


Ride or accommodation sharing – CBS news

If you buy or hire goods and services through an online marketplace or sharing economy platform, you are protected by the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), in the same way as you would be if you were to buy in store.

Traders are protected by the ACL and also have obligations to consumers, like guaranteeing that the services and goods they’re providing comply with the law.

Transcript – the sharing economy – introduction (DOC 13KB)

Consumers – If you buy goods and services

Your rights don’t change if you hire goods or buy services online, through an app or sharing platform, or if you make in-store purchases. You have consumer guarantee rights.

If there is a problem:

  • Check the platform’s terms and conditions and their complaint management process, if they have one.
  • You may be able to cancel the contract and get a refund if a consumer guarantee isn’t met

Follow these simple steps to resolve the issue:

  • speak to the seller or service provider
  • contact the platform through their internal dispute resolution process, if they have one
  • write a factual customer review and rate the trader on the platform
  • contact Consumer and Business Services for advice if the matter isn’t resolved with the platform and/or trader.

Transcript – the sharing economy – remedies (DOC 13KB)

Transcript – the sharing economy – cancellations (DOC 13KB)

Transcript – the sharing economy – disputes (DOC 13KB)

Traders – If you hire or sell goods and services

Your rights:

  • platform operators must not mislead or deceive you
  • you have consumer guarantee rights when buying services from a platform operator
  • there are certain circumstances where it is illegal for a platform operator to refuse to supply you
  • you can refuse to provide a refund if the consumer has simply changed their mind.

If you believe a consumer has not held up their end of a contract for a good or service, some platforms have their own internal resolution process to deal with this. Read your platform’s community rules and internal resolution process guidelines.

Contact Consumer and Business Services for advice if you aren’t able to resolve a problem with the platform or consumer first.

 Your obligations

  • Be transparent about the product or service you are advertising so there are no surprises to consumers
  • Avoid misleading or deceptive statements
  • Make sure reviews provided about your service or product are not misleading or fake
  • You must comply with product safety obligations.

Transcript – the sharing economy – advertising (DOC 13KB)

Transcript – the sharing economy – reviews (DOC 13KB)

Former travel agents fined $15K – media release

The Supreme Court has ordered that pecuniary penalties of $150,000 be paid by the operators of a former Adelaide-based travel agent for breaches of the Australian Consumer Law which included leaving clients in the lurch at the check in gate in foreign countries.

Consumer and Business Services began legal action against the former operators of Olympia Express Tourist and Travel, Vasilios Koutropoulos and Mary Boufkas, in December 2015, alleging that they engaged in conduct that was misleading and deceptive, made false and misleading representations, and wrongly accepted payment from consumers in connection with the supply of international airline services and other travel products.

Read more – former travel agents fined $15,000

Call for compensation – 17 July 2018

Proposed ticket scalping legislation – CBS news

Fair Trading (Ticket Scalping) Amendment Bill 2018

This Bill was introduced into Parliament on 30 May 2018 and aims to increase consumer protection around ticket scalping.

It will be illegal for anyone to sell tickets or advertise the sale of tickets at a price that is more than 110% of the original ticket price.

The law will apply to ticket sales for all sporting and entertainment events in South Australia (SA), where the event is subject to a resale restriction. An event will no longer need to be declared as a ‘major event’ in order for ticket scalping protections to apply.

It will also be an offence for anyone to use ‘ticket bots’ or other software to purchase tickets to an event in SA.

Ticket reselling will be allowed, as long as the advertised price is capped at 110% of the original ticket price and provided that certain information is disclosed in the advertisement.

The Fair Trading (Ticket Scalping) Amendment Bill 2018 is available at

Winter safety tips

Many winter products can be unsafe if they are old, faulty or used incorrectly. To help you stay safe while keeping warm this winter, here are our top tips.


No matter what type of heater you have, check it every winter to make sure it’s safe to use. Check the electrical cables and make sure there are no exposed wires or loose connections. Only use one appliance per power point and switch each appliance off when not in use.

Gas heaters must be vented adequately as the carbon monoxide produced when the gas is burnt is odourless, colourless and deadly. It is important to have gas heaters serviced regularly by a qualified tradesperson to ensure there are no carbon monoxide leaks.

Safety tips

  • Heaters should be placed on a flat, level surface
  • Never use a gas heater or BBQ made for outdoor use inside your home
  • Always supervise children and pets when heaters are in use
  • Keep heaters well clear from items that might burn. A minimum of 1 metre clearance from clothes, bedding, furniture, curtains and other combustibles is recommended.


Regular maintenance of fireplaces, combustion heaters, flues and chimneys must be undertaken by a qualified person at least once a year (at the start of winter) to ensure that the heater or fireplace works properly and safely.

Safety tips

  • Place a mesh screen in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks and wood falling out
  • Make sure the chimney is clean and properly ventilated
  • Never use petrol, oil or kerosene to help light the fire. They could cause an explosion.


A well-insulated and well-designed home can halve the cost of cooling and heating. Selecting the right insulation and having it correctly installed is a once only cost. It will last the life of the building with no further maintenance cost.

Unfortunately over 11,000 house fires and 60 fatalities have been linked to non-compliant insulation in Australia and New Zealand.

Safety tips

  • Always use a qualified installer for insulation
  • If you are doing home repairs do not move insulation and ensure it is not over or around recessed light fittings
  • Keep foil products away from electrical power outlets or lights, as they can conduct electricity through the metal reflective covering.

Hot water bottles

Hot water bottles are made of rubber or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and can deteriorate with age. Each year, 200 people in Australia are treated for serious burns from hot water bottles.

Safety tips

  • Don’t overfill or use boiling water – use hot tap water instead
  • Avoid direct contact with your skin – use a fitted cover or wrap the bottle before use
  • Never leave on one body part for more than 20 minutes.

Electric blankets

If your electric blanket has been stored away, inspect it before use. Look for frayed fabric, exposed elements, damaged cords or scorch marks. If you notice any damage, throw the blanket away. Damaged or faulty electric blankets can cause an electric shock or a fire.

Safety tips

  • Don’t sleep with your electric blanket on – warm the bed and then turn it off
  • Never place heavy items on your bed when the electric blanket is turned on
  • Seek advice about using an electric blanket if you have diabetes or are pregnant
  •  If you remove your electric blanket after winter, always store it rolled up.

Wheat/heat packs

Follow the heating instructions for your wheat bag and never heat more than instructed. Homemade wheat bags can pose a fire and injury risk because the moisture content and volume of these bags is not known so there are no heating times to guide you. Over time the organic fillings inside wheat packs can dry out and become more combustible.

Safety Tips

Don’t place a heated wheat pack on or under bedding. Blankets trap the product’s heat and may cause it to ignite.

Allow the wheat pack to cool completely each time before reheating

If you notice a burning smell, let the bag cool and then dispose of it.

Children’s clothing

Each year Australian children are admitted to hospital with burns sustained after their clothing has caught fire. Even if clothing items have a ‘low fire danger’ label they are still flammable.

Safety tips

  • Be cautious of children’s clothing purchased online or from overseas. They may not be subject to Australian standards
  • Keep your child away from open flames and heaters
  • Avoid buying loose fitting sleepwear, dressing gowns and clothing which could easily catch alight.

Smoke alarms

More than 50 people across Australia die each year from house fires and many more are injured. The majority of these homes did not have working smoke alarms. Only working smoke alarms can provide early warning and time to escape. You lose your sense of smell when you are asleep. A working smoke alarm reduces your chance of dying in a house fire by half.

Safety tips

  • Test your smoke alarm is working every month
  • Replace your alarm battery every year
  • Replace your smoke alarm every 10 years. If you move house, check the alarm – the date of manufacture should be displayed on the smoke alarm.

Candles, matches and lighters

Candles can look and smell nice, but they are one of the most common causes of house fires. Extinguish a candle prior to leaving a room or before going to sleep. Ensure the wick ember is no longer glowing.

Safety Tips

  • Store matches and lighters in a safe place, out of reach of children
  • Never leave children alone with any open flame
  • Keep lit candles away from combustible material – e.g. curtains, bedding, clothing.


While mould is not a major health hazard for most people, it can present problems for pregnant women, children and people with weakened immune systems or chronic lung diseases. Vulnerable people should not be present when mould is removed.

Safety Tips

  • Open windows and doors each day to ventilate your home and reduce mould growth
  • Don’t let it settle in, clean up mould as soon as you notice it
  • Scrub mould off hard surfaces using soapy water. All the mould must be physically removed to prevent regrowth
  • Scrub up to 50cm from the edge of the visible mould as there may be new growth that is not visible to the naked eye.
  • Clean up any mould residue caused by the scrubbing. Use a damp cloth or vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter
  • Dry the area and then find and fix the source of the moisture.

For more information about product safety – including safety warning notices, recalls, bans and new safety standards – please visit