Go to top of page
Work & Business Licenses
Consumer & Business Advice
CBS updates
11 August 2017

Simplify Day – 10 August 2017

Read the 2017 Simplify Day report

Second hand vehicle dealers

Dealers trading from more than one premises now only need to pay one SHVD compensation fund fee each year. Other changes included a reduction in the prescribed amount dealers must contribute to the fund and a reintroduction of the dealer’s handling fee to assist with the costs associated with the transfer of a vehicle’s registration.

The requirements on some prescribed notices have been changed to increase transparency for consumers and potentially save licensed dealers a combined total of more than $120,000 each year.

The updated Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Regulations 2017 (PDF 260KB) commenced on 1 September 2017.

Land agents licence exemptions

High-end and related commercial property owners will be exempt from holding a land agent registration.

The Land Agents (Simplify No 2) Variation Regulations 2017 were made on 8 August 2017 and the exemptions for commercial property managers commenced on 1 November 2017.

Vendor’s statement

Information required for the Form 1 vendors’ statement will be reviewed to ensure the need for disclosed information is relevant while continuing to protect the consumer. The review will investigate other accessible options for providing the information to consumers and involve consultation in 2018 and beyond.


The review of the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 is now complete. The government is currently considering the timeframes for legislative amendments.

Simplify Day – 15 November 2016

Read the 2016 Simplify Day report

Non-active partners – exemption

A non-active partner may apply for an exemption from holding a CBS building, plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (trade) licence. A non-active partner is a registered business partner who does not independently quote, contract, perform or supervise licensed work or actively manage any trade work. Non-active partners are often spouses of licensed contractors undertaking administrative duties only such as book keeping, advertising, purchasing etc.

Non-active partners must not have been previously suspended or disqualified from an occupation or business under any Australian law. They also must not have been deemed insolvent or bankrupt as an individual or director of a company in the past five years.

Licensees that are limited to operating in partnerships are ineligible. This limitation is listed on your card or you can check the public register or call us to verify. The continuing licence holder may need to upgrade their licence.

Applying for an exemption  If you are applying for a new licence a non-active partner will need to apply online for an exemption from holding a licence (use the ‘apply for an exemption’ button below). You will only need to do this once when you are applying for a new licence and there is no cost for this application.

If you are a non-active partner and want to surrender a current licence as part of this process , use the ‘apply to surrender your licence’ button below to apply.

Change in circumstances  You will need to notify CBS if your circumstances change. You may need to hold a contracting licence to quote, contract and perform work and a supervisor or worker registration if you physically perform the work.

False information – Penalties of up to $50,000 and a possible prison term apply if you provide false information or work as an active partner without a licence. CBS encourages you to report anyone working without an appropriate licence at cbs.sa.gov.au/dob-in.
Apply to surrender your licence (currently LICENSED)

Apply for an exemption (currently UNLICENSED)

Building and other trades

Penalty fees for the late renewal of occupational licences have been removed. Final notices will be sent without additional fees and the licence cancelled if not renewed.


Body corporate conveyancers no longer need to seek the Commissioner’s approval to operate in partnership, removing administrative red tape for both conveyancers and the government.


Bookmakers no longer need to obtain permits to operate at particular race meets, removing administrative red tape for both bookmakers and the government – excluding bets made by phone or electronically – eg over the internet.

Second hand vehicle dealers

Dealers no longer need to seek the Commissioner’s approval for business premises. This is replaced by a simpler notification requirement. Dealers will also no longer need approval to trade at temporary premises, such as a trade shows or events provided they are less than seven days.

Penalty fees for late renewal licences will also be removed.

Compensation claims against the Second-hand Vehicles Compensation Fund will now be made to the Commissioner. While claimants no longer need to apply to the Magistrates Court, a right of appeal remains if there is a disagreement to the decision of the Commissioner.

Apply now

Visit Simplify Day on the Department of Treasury and Finance’s website for more information.