- The owner/manager must lodge bonds with Consumer and Business Services (CBS). Bonds can be lodged and refunded online using Residential Bonds Online
- A landlord or proprietor cannot take more than the bond and one upfront rental payment at the start of a tenancy – for rooming houses – for private rentals
- The online ‘check a bond status’ service is a quick way to track the progress of a bond refund or check whether a bond is lodged with CBS
- Proper rent records must be kept by a landlord or proprietor and receipts given
- Rental properties can be a target for scammers – avoid rental scams
- Don’t overcrowd a rental property – clutter or too many people living in a property could be a fire hazard
- The property must meet minimum housing standards and be free from health and fire hazards
- Items that are damaged or need repair or maintenance should be reported (in writing) to the landlord/proprietor.
CBS provides free advice and information about tenancy rights and obligations. For advice or information to help resolve a dispute call 131 882. All contact with CBS is kept confidential.
Renting in South Australia – Know your rights before you move in (poster 132KB PDF)
For more information about renting rights and obligations visit renting.