Information for plumbers, gas fitters and electricians

Welcome to the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) occupational licensing system. Information relevant to plumbers, gas fitters and electrician has been collated on this welcome page to help you with any questions may have. The CBS licensing and registration team are available if you need further assistance.

Managing my licence

To maintain your licence you need to lodge an annual or periodic renewal and inform CBS of relevant changes and events. This is useful if you want to change or upgrade your licence conditions or change from an individual to a company licence. Many applications can be completed online.

Change of address (PDF 90KB)

PGE contractor (business) – eligibility, exemptions, fees, mutual recognition, renew and change/upgrade

PGE registration (individual) – eligibility, exemptions, fees, mutual recognition, renew and change/upgrade

Online renewal

Contact us: CBS licensing and registration via email or phone 131 882.


Working in the plumbing, gas fitting and electrical industry

Relevant forms and fact sheets helpful for workers in the plumbing, gas fitting and electrical industry are available below.

Certificates of compliance (electrical)

Form 1 – your rights (PDF 33KB)

Form 2 – building indemnity insurance (PDF 293KB)


General and business advice 

As a new licensee, you may be considering starting your own business. Understanding your rights and responsibilities as a business owner can potentially avoid disputes with your customers and suppliers.

Deposits and payments

Handling customer complaints

Responsibilities of builders and tradespeople

Your rights if your supplier uses unfair contract terms

Security of Payment – Building and construction industry

Office of the Small Business Commissioner – advice and dispute resolution for business to business transactions

Warranties and consumer guarantees

Refunds to customers

Operating under a business name

Running a business

Australian Consumer Law


Other resources

Finding information specific to your industry can be found in various places. Some of those resources have been collated and are listed below.

Find a licence holder (CBS licensing public register)

Report an unlicensed tradesperson

RTO’s and other contacts

CBS news & updates – subscribe and view CBS quarterly newsletter (CBS Connect) and other news

Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS)

Office of the Technical Regulator

Certificate of Compliance

Safework SA – WH&S

Skilled Migrant Services

Skilled migrant services checklist (PDF 365KB)

Publications to view or download: