Go to top of page
Work & Business Licenses
Consumer & Business Advice
Media releases
10 February 2012

An unlicensed builder has been convicted and fined $6000 in the Adelaide Magistrates Court.

34 year old Shane Lynch, of Flagstaff Hill, was prosecuted by Consumer and Business Services for offences under the Building Work Contractors Act.

On November 25 last year, he pleaded guilty to one count of carrying on business as a building work contractor while unlicensed, and two counts of advertising himself as a building work contractor while unlicensed.

The court heard Lynch traded as Extensive Paving and Concreting and performed building work for two different consumers in 2009 and 2010.

He contracted to carry out excavation, paving and landscaping - but failed to complete any of the work.

Commissioner for Consumer Affairs Paul White said Lynch had placed advertisements in suburban newspapers in 2009 and 2011.

“This is a timely reminder that consumers must check the credentials of any builder they hire,” Mr White said.

Lynch was fined a total of $6,000 and ordered to pay compensation to the consumers of $900 and $1600 respectively.

“This outcome should send a warning to builders to abide by the law or
face prosecution and conviction, not to mention significant compensation payments, fines and industry bans,” Mr White said.

Consumers are encouraged to:

•    research prospective tradespeople by checking references from previous work or check with building associations.

•    ask for a tradesperson’s licence card, which includes photo ID, and cross-check the licence number with the contractors’ register on the CBS website www.cbs.sa.gov.au.

•    report concerns about suspected unlicensed builders, or lodge a complaint, by contacting Consumer and Business Services on 13 1882 or visit the CBS website